Our focus is to give an accountable government: Sonia Gandhi
New Delhi: UPA’s action against corruption shows their sense of responsibility towards the nation, Congress Chairperson Sonia Gandhi said while addressing a function to mark the second anniversary of the UPA-II government.
“Our party promises to punish the guilty involved in scams and assures the people that we will demonstrate through actions and not words what we mean,” Gandhi added.
The Congress Chairperson also congratulated Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for successfully managing his task throughout and also thanked the entire Cabinet for their support.
The messages from the recent Assembly elections are that people want to reward those who give effective and accountable governments, Sonia said. She also congratulated West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee, Kerala CM Oomen Chandy and Assam CM Tarun Gogoi for their victory in the Assembly elections and making the Congress party proud.
Priorities of UPA is to ensure high economic growth while keeping prices of essential items at affordable level and our focus is to give a clear and accountable government, said Sonia Gandhi.
"Three important legislations -- the Land Acquisition Bill, the Resettlement Bill and the Lokpal Bill -- will be introduced in the monsoon session of parliament," Gandhi added.
“Probity, transparency and accountability are at the very heart of our governance. We will make our new term more effective by reaching more and more people.
Especially our focus would be on the weaker section of the society, empowering the rural women and to end hunger, malnutrition. National food security bill has been finalised, Right to Education has now become a reality,” Sonia Gandhi said concluding her speech.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened