Our heads hang in shame over crime against women: Sonia
Khanpur Kalan: Amid rising cases of crime against women, Congress President Sonia Gandhi today said "our heads hang in shame" due to recurring incidents of rapes and other violence against women.
Flagging concerns about female foeticide and crime against women, Gandhi exhorted women not to bow down to difficulties in future and face them with courage as the country needs them at all responsible positions.
Her remarks came as the country celebrates International Women`s Day today.
"Such incidents (rapes and crime against women) are happening all over the country. Our heads hang in shame because of these rapes and crimes against women," Gandhi said at the dedication of a Women`s Medical College and Convocation ceremony of Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila University here.
Noting that the Congress-led UPA government has taken several steps to protect women and empower them socially and economically, she said a bill will soon be passed to tackle crime against women.
She spoke about government`s budget announcement about earmarking Rs 1,000 crore each for opening women`s banks across the country and Nirbhaya Fund.
A bill has also been introduced to give share to women in parental property and to stop incidents of sexual harassment and domestic violence, she said.
Congratulating women on the occasion of Women`s Day, she said, "One needs to take stronger steps to end the stigma on rape victims and other victims of crime against women.
"It is the responsibility of educated girls and everyone to raise your voice against these social ills," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says