Our image is quite shining: Chidambaram
New Delhi: "Our image is quite shining", Finance Minister P Chidambaram quipped on Thursday in an apparent jibe at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) rattled by the Advani-Modi controversy.
The image of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government is not a cause for concern and would not affect the performance of the economy, Chidambaram said at a press meet.
"What`s wrong with the image of the government? Compared to the political image of some of our friends, our image is quite shining," he said.
The Minister was replying to a question on whether the image of the government, which has been facing charges of involvement in several scams, will hamper the economy.
He evaded a question on the Prime Minister`s Office not sharing information under RTI Act on the business deals of Congress chief Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra.
Chidambaram asked the reporters to confine themselves to queries on the economy.
He also refused to answer a question on whether the government is financially sound enough to bear the burden of a Food Security law if it is passed.
"I cannot answer questions on issues which have not been decided," he said.
The Food Security Bill is pending in the Lok Sabha. Several political parties, including BJP and the Left, are of the view that though there is need for such a legislation, it should be passed only after due consultations and incorporating some changes.
They are opposed to passage of an Ordinance on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon