Our ties need more momentum in some areas: Obama
Washington: Indo-US ties need more momentum in some areas, according to President Barack Obama, who is still "proud of the progress" made in strengthening them.
Was the warmth in the relations "fading", the US leader was asked during an interview here.
"Yes, it`s true that in some areas we would have liked to see more momentum. Still, I`m proud of the progress we`ve made, and I think that the relationship between the United States and India is stronger, broader and deeper that it has ever been," he said.
Indicating a possible end to the longstanding denial of sophisticated dual use technology to India, Obama said the US Defence Department was working to sort it out.
He maintained that such technology, involving items which have civil and military use, was being given to India and that Pentagon "is working to address those occasional cases where we do not".
Acknowledging that there were "benefits" of providing such technology to New Delhi, Obama said "Given all the interests and values we share, I`m confident that we can continue to work through any differences."
Obama`s assurance comes in the backdrop of bickering between the two countries over dual use technology which has been denied to India for decades, particularly after it was put on the so-called entities list.
Denial of such technology has hit India`s defence and space programmes amid fears in certain circles in the US that the sophisticated technology may be misused for military purposes, particularly nuclear weapons programme.
After Obama`s India visit in 2010 the US government had announced the removal of 9 Indian space and defence-related organisations from the entities list.
However, the chief of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) V K Saraswat went public recently with the complaint that though the embargo had been lifted nothing had changed "in practice". There had not been even a 10 per cent implementation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan