Out of box solutions needed to tackle black money menace: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday sought to turn the tables in the Lok Sabha on BJP on the issue of black money, wondering as to why it was not taking action against a ruling party member from whose residence over Rs one crore in cash and gold and silver ornaments were found.
"Why are you not taking action against Giriraj Singh from whose residence Rs 1.14 crore in cash and gold and silver... were recovered," Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia wondered while initiating discussion on Union Budget 2014-15.
Scindia said "out of the box solutions" were needed to tackle the menace.
His remarks drew immediate protests from some BJP members from Bihar, including Giriraj Singh, who was present in the House, as also Ashwini Chaubey and Rajiv Pratap Rudy.
Raising a point of order, Rudy contended that no allegation or defamatory statement could be made against any member unless adequate notice is given and, therefore, the Congress member should withdraw his remarks and apologise.
Speaker Sumitra Mahajan observed that there was no allegation and the member had raised a certain issue, but if there was anything objectionable she would look into the records and expunge it.
At the same time, she told members that it would be better that they refrain from taking names.
Recently both Houses of Bihar Legislature had seen JD(U), RJD and Congress members creating ruckus over recovery of Rs 1.14 crore, 600 US dollars and ornaments stolen from the house of BJP MP Giriraj Singh and had demanded his arrest and termination of Parliament membership alleging it was "black money".
Patna Police had recovered the items stolen from the BJP MP`s flat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India