Outrage in RS over child rape; members demand death penalty
New Delhi: Expressing outrage over gruesome rape and brutality of a five-year-old girl, members of Parliament came together to press for stern action including death penalty, to deal with such crimes even if there was a need to have a relook at the recently enacted anti-rape law.
Members in the Rajya Sabha set aside their party affiliations and demanded a check on atrocities against women with a suggestion that an all-party meeting could be held to find ways to tackle such crimes more effectively.
The House took up an impromptu discussion on the issue of growing rape cases in the country against the backdrop of the incident in East Delhi last week.
Members like BSP chief Mayawati, Maya Singh (BJP), CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury and noted lyricist Javed Akthar demanded tough action against perpetrators of crime as a means of deterrence.
During the debate, some TV content also came under attack with members saying obscene and provocative advertisements and serials were being telecast which needed to be curbed.
Initiating the debate, Maya Singh referred to the latest rape incident in East Delhi and said the accused should be given "immediate death penalty" without going through a lengthy court trial.
"It is proved that the person has done it (crime). Still, a case will be registered and tried in court. It is a lengthy process. We should immediately award him death penalty. Such people should be hanged," she sought.
She said the new anti-rape bill should be relooked, if required, to make it further stringent.
That apart, she demanded an all-party meeting should be convened soon to discuss this issue.
The anti-rape bill was passed in Parliament last month against the backdrop of the country-wide outrage over Delhi gang-rape. It aims to provide for life term and even death sentence for rape convicts besides stringent punishment for offences like acid attacks, stalking and voyeurism.
Singh said implementation of laws was very essential and enacting laws was not enough.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon