Outrage over ill-treatment of Krittika
New York: The ill-treatment meted out to Krittika Biswas, the daughter of Indian diplomat Debashish Biswas, by the New York City administration has angered the Indians living in both India and the US who view this as a case of racial discrimination.
According to reports, the Indian community has pledged its full support to Krittika and demanded justice for the 18-year-old student of John Bowne High School.
Krittika has sued New York city for a whopping USD 1.5 million, alleging that she was falsely arrested in violation of her diplomatic immunity, with the Indian consulate here also backing her claims.
Krittika, who is the daughter of Debashish Biswas, Vice Consul (Administration) at the Indian Consulate General here, filed a notice of claim on May 06.
She said her claims of diplomatic immunity were ignored when she was handcuffed and locked up for more than 24 hours on February 08 after a shoddy probe by administrators into alleged obscene e-mails sent to two teachers in her school.
Krittika recounted that she was handcuffed first by a policeman in her principal`s office, who was trying to force her to admit that she had sent the objectionable e-mails.
"He said if you say for second time that you did not do it, then I will put the handcuffs on you. Then, he actually put those on me, saying that I will end up in jail with prostitutes and drug dealers," said Krittika.
During her period of detention, she was also provided very poor facilities - an almost-open toilet and drinking water in which there was vomit.
Krittika said she was also not allowed to get in touch either with her family or contact the Indian consulate.
Even after the Queens District Attorney dropped the charges and expunged her arrest from the record, school officials sent the girl to an offsite suspension centre for more than a month, according to the claim.
It was only after principal Howard Kwait found the real perpetrator that Krittika was allowed back into the school.
"The basis for this targeted inquiry was as criminally malicious as it was reckless," Ravi Batra, Krittika`s lawyer, said at a news conference recently.
Batra also claimed that officers failed to read Biswas her rights and "continued to inquire about her computer usage".
Indian Consul General Prabhu Dayal said there was a difference in view on whether diplomatic community extends to dependents of diplomats.
"This is a matter that the two governments have to discuss - which interpretation of the Vienna Convention is correct.... India has taken the view all along that family members have immunity, while the US State Department is totally contrary," he told reporters.
Dayal added that due to the differing perception, going to courts was the only way to change it.
"There was nothing that could be done if the State Department is saying that (diplomatic immunity) does not extend to family (members), except to fight the matter in court and have a lawyer to do that.. and this is what we did," said the Indian Consul general.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'