Over 100% hike for DAE plan outlay; to launch 16 new N-plants
New Delhi: Unfazed by public protests against Kudankulam nuclear power plant, the Centre has more than doubled the expenditure for the Department of Atomic Energy in the 12th Plan which would see commissioning of seven atomic plants and launch of 16 new atomic power plants.
The 12th Five Year Plan, which was approved at a meeting of the Full Planning Commission chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, finalised a Rs 66,590 crore outlay for the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), a 109.32 per cent hike over the 11th Plan.
The government would provide a budgetary support of Rs 41,615 crore to the DAE during the Twelfth Plan Period from 2012-17. The balance Rs 24,975 crore has to be raised through borrowings and internal resources.
The Department of Space also saw a 151 per cent hike in budgetary support for 2012-17 which has been pegged at 39750 crore.
The DAE plans capacity addition of 5300 MW nuclear power in the 12th Plan period by commissioning two 1000 MW units at Kudankulkam, one 500 MW Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor (PFBR) at Kalpakkam, two 700 MW indigenously-developed Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWR) each at Kakrapar and Rawat Bhata respectively.
It also plans to start construction of 16 new nuclear power plants which includes eight indigenously-developed PHWRs and eight Light Water Reactors planned with international collaboration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video