Over 1,000 youths vow to marry sex workers
New Delhi: As many as 1,400 youths,
including some professionals, associated with a sect have
decided to tie the nuptial knot with sex workers to help them
lead a respectable life.
The volunteers, participating in a ceremony organised by
Dera Sacha Sauda in Sirsa, have pledged to marry sex workers
from Kolkata and New Delhi.
"We are organising an event tomorrow where about 1,400
youths will vow to marry women who were forced into
prostitution and want to escape further exploitation. Some
families have also decided to legally adopt these women and
their children," the sect`s spokesman Aditya Insan told a news agency.
All the volunteers are members of the Dera, he said.
While some 2-3 couples will tie the knot tomorrow, others
will do so within a year, he said, adding the event is also
aimed to check the spread of HIV/AIDS.
He said by helping drug users and sex workers "we are
trying to help remove people from the highest risk situations
and check the spread of HIV/AIDS".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India