Over 1,000 youths vow to marry sex workers
New Delhi: As many as 1,400 youths,
including some professionals, associated with a sect have
decided to tie the nuptial knot with sex workers to help them
lead a respectable life.
The volunteers, participating in a ceremony organised by
Dera Sacha Sauda in Sirsa, have pledged to marry sex workers
from Kolkata and New Delhi.
"We are organising an event tomorrow where about 1,400
youths will vow to marry women who were forced into
prostitution and want to escape further exploitation. Some
families have also decided to legally adopt these women and
their children," the sect`s spokesman Aditya Insan told a news agency.
All the volunteers are members of the Dera, he said.
While some 2-3 couples will tie the knot tomorrow, others
will do so within a year, he said, adding the event is also
aimed to check the spread of HIV/AIDS.
He said by helping drug users and sex workers "we are
trying to help remove people from the highest risk situations
and check the spread of HIV/AIDS".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter