Over 11 lakh abortions in a year in India: Govt
New Delhi: A total of 11.06 lakh abortions were recorded in the country in 2008-09, according to government data.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad today said data on the numbers of unsafe abortions in the country is not available in the Central Health Management and Information System of National Rural Health Mission or national level surveys.
"As per Registrar General of India- Sample Registration System (RGI -SRS) (2001-03), 8 per cent of maternal deaths in the country are attributed to `abortions`.
"Further, as per WHO global and regional estimates 2008, on unsafe abortion, 13 per cent of maternal deaths are attributed to unsafe abortions in the South Central Asia region," Azad said a written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha.
He said while there are no estimates on the magnitude of unsafe abortions in India, or the numbers of deaths per one lakh abortions in the region, a WHO report on Unsafe abortion states that, "a large number of unsafe abortions reportedly take place in India.
"The same Report has also provided an estimate of 200 deaths per 100,000 unsafe abortions in the South Central Asia Region."
The Minister said funds are being provided to states/ UTs for operationalisation of safe abortion services at health facilities including procurement of equipment and drugs.
Listing other steps taken with regard to safe abortions, he said capacity building of medical officers in safe abortion technology and of ANMs, ASHAs and other field functionaries to provide confidential counselling for safe abortion and promote post-abortion care including adoption of contraception has been made.
He added that certification of private and NGO sector facilities through district level committees to provide quality MTP services has been introduced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation?
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi