Over 11,500 patients died at AIIMS in 3 years
New Delhi: Over 11,500 patients died at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in the past three years while undergoing treatment, an RTI reply has revealed.
Dr S Sathpathy, a professor with the department of hospital administration at AIIMS, said 11,566 patients died during their stay in the main hospital, the Cardio-Thoracic and Neuro-Sciences centre, R P Centre and the casualty in the past three years.
Mumbai-resident Ajay Marathe had filed the RTI seeking information regarding the number of deaths in the hospital in the past three years.
"So many deaths and still then organ donation has not taken up in the hospital. Nearly eight organs can be retrieved from one body. It`s unfortunate that people are still reluctant to donate," Marathe said.
Quoting the reply, he said, "Of the total 4,100 deaths reported in 2008-2009, 797 happened in the casualty, 2,380 in the main hospital and 923 in the C N Centre. In the following year, a total of 4,159 deaths took place including 431 in the casualty, 2700 in the Main hospital and 978 in the C N Centre.
"In 2010-2011, 738 deaths were reported in the casualty, 2,586 in the main hospital and 853 in the C N Centre."
"A total of nine deaths have happened in the past three years in the R P Centre at AIIMS," Marathe said.
Besides this, 960 patients were declared brought dead in the past three years, Sathpathy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note