Over 11,500 patients died at AIIMS in 3 years
New Delhi: Over 11,500 patients died at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in the past three years while undergoing treatment, an RTI reply has revealed.
Dr S Sathpathy, a professor with the department of hospital administration at AIIMS, said 11,566 patients died during their stay in the main hospital, the Cardio-Thoracic and Neuro-Sciences centre, R P Centre and the casualty in the past three years.
Mumbai-resident Ajay Marathe had filed the RTI seeking information regarding the number of deaths in the hospital in the past three years.
"So many deaths and still then organ donation has not taken up in the hospital. Nearly eight organs can be retrieved from one body. It`s unfortunate that people are still reluctant to donate," Marathe said.
Quoting the reply, he said, "Of the total 4,100 deaths reported in 2008-2009, 797 happened in the casualty, 2,380 in the main hospital and 923 in the C N Centre. In the following year, a total of 4,159 deaths took place including 431 in the casualty, 2700 in the Main hospital and 978 in the C N Centre.
"In 2010-2011, 738 deaths were reported in the casualty, 2,586 in the main hospital and 853 in the C N Centre."
"A total of nine deaths have happened in the past three years in the R P Centre at AIIMS," Marathe said.
Besides this, 960 patients were declared brought dead in the past three years, Sathpathy said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged