Over 12,000 acres of Defence land is under encroachment: Govt
New Delhi: About 12,364 acres of Defence land is under encroachment and the Defence Ministry has issued detailed instructions for ensuring vigilance, detection and prevention of such cases, the government said on Monday.
In a written reply to Lok Sabha, Defence Minister AK Antony said, "About 12,364 acres of defence land is under illegal occupation or encroachment including by civilians."
On the number of cases of alleged corruption relating to Defence land, he said, "Seven such cases of alleged corruption and irregularities regarding defence lands have been reported to the Ministry."
Replying to a query on women serving in armed forces, he said, "At present the percentage of women officers as per held strength of officers in Army, Navy and Air Force (excluding medical streams) is 3.3, 3.9 and 10.04 per cent respectively."
Antony told the House till 2011, the recorded strength of women in Defence forces was 366.
In a separate reply over integration of auto-pilot system in Jaguar fighter aircraft, he said, "Procurement of autopilot for 55 Jaguar aircraft has been completed and commercial discussions for repeat procurement of additional 95 autopilots are under progress."
Integration of autopilot on Jaguar aircraft is being undertaken in two phases.
On modernisation of armed forces, he said, a total budget of Rs 52,998.02 crore was allocated for the purpose in 2011-12, while the actual expenditure incurred was Rs 50,723.97 crore.
In reply to a separate query over widows of ex-servicemen in the country, Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju said, "The number of widows of ex-servicemen in the country is 5,47,097 in the country."
On incidents of Pakistan Army capturing and killing some Indian soldiers including a Captain-rank officer during the Kargil war, Antony said, "The Ministry has taken up the matter with the Ministry of External Affairs and has asked the MEA about the steps taken by them in this matter."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars