Over 2 cr illegal immigrants living in India: Govt
New Delhi: Over two crore illegal immigrants
are living in India, most of whom are from the sub-continent,
the Government said Thursday.
Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs Joint Secretary G
Gurucharan said over 20 million illegal immigrants are living
in the country.
"You cannot identify a person by ethnicity. A Sri Lankan
Tamil can pass as one from Chennai and a Punjabi-speaking
person can be a Pakistani. Likewise a Bengali-speaking person
can be a Bangaldeshi," he told a workshop on illegal
"India has over 20 million illegal immigrants living," he
To a question on the rise in incidents of women being
pushed into India from Nepal, he said, "We have a porous
border with Nepal. In such cases like people being forced into
sex trade, the help of civil socities is needed."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments
- Unsure if monetary policy panel to set rates in August: Raghuram Rajan
- German Bakery blast: Maha Govt. challenges Bombay HC order in SC
- Chinese woman gives birth to a baby girl from embryo frozen 18 years ago
- Spirituality helps you transform into a better human – Here’s how