Over 200 doctors to join paramilitary forces
New Delhi: More than 200 newly recruited doctors, including specialists, are set to join paramilitary forces like CRPF and ITBP, providing troops in operations with the much-awaited medical cover.
This is the first pool of the medical officers that will join the forces in the last several years. There are total vacancies of 259 posts for specialist medical officers, 283
posts for medical officers and 18 posts for dental surgeons in forces like BSF, SSB, Assam Rifles, CRPF and ITBP.
The forces, deployed for law and order, counter-insurgency, anti-Naxal operations and other security related duties, have been facing an acute shortage of medical sofficers and doctors in their ranks.
While 34 specialist doctors in the streams of Opthalmology, Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Surgery have been cleared in the first lot, names of another batch of 190
doctors have been approved for posting with various paramilitary units.
"The present strength of the medical cadre in such forces is not sufficient as the troops are being deployed extensively for internal security duties. With the focus on anti-Naxal and counter-insurgency operations, the requirement to have specialist doctors in the ranks has been felt," a paramilitary officer said.
The new medical officers will be designated combat ranks of Deputy Commandants and Assistant Commandants and can serve the forces for at least ten years with a two-year probation period.
The doctors will also accompany the battalions and units that move into operational areas. The attempt is to expedite medical facilities to men who get injured during action or otherwise, the officer said.
The move to get fresh doctors recruited in the forces assumes significance as the Home Ministry is also in the process of raising a strength equivalent to 123 new battalions
for different forces which would be coming up in the next two-three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- US forces on ground in Syria aiding key anti-IS fight
- See pics: Tim Kopra shares exquisite scenic views of two places in Africa!
- Labour reforms not essential for industrial growth: FM Jaitley
- PM Narendra Modi's Pakistan policy is courageous and realistic, believe 79% Indians: Survey on 2 years of NDA
- Investor wealth surges by over Rs 2.69 lakh crore in three days