Over 22,000 cases pending with 17 benches of CAT
New Delhi: A total of 22,400 cases are pending
with the 17 benches of Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT)
across the country upto January this year, the Lok Sabha was
informed on Wednesday.
According to the information furnished by Minister of
State in the Prime Minister`s Office Prithviraj Chavan, the
highest of 2,987 were pending in the principal bench of New
Delhi, followed by 2,889 cases in Kolkata and 2,873 in
There are 2,133 cases pending with Mumbai bench, 1,802 in
Patna, 1,131 in Chandigarh, 1,082 in Lucknow and 974 in
Hyderabad, Chavan said in a written reply.
The Minister said there has been a rise in the number of
cases filed during the past three years with the CAT.
"Number of cases filed in the CAT, increased and there
was corresponding increase in the rate of disposal of cases,
and overall pendency has been under control," Chavan said.
He said most of them are transferred cases received from
various High Courts and other Subordinate Courts to the
various Benches of the Central Administrative Tribunal and
fresh cases filed during 2009 and 2010, which may not be ripe
As many as 23,777 cases were pending in 2007, 21,712 in
2008 and 22,527 in 2009 in all the benches of CAT. Of these,
18,674, 20,352 and 23,681 were respectively disposed off
during these years.
Chavan said a number of steps have been taken to clear
pendency including constant monitoring of monthly pendency
report from all the benches of the CAT and "the rate of
disposal is personally monitored by the Chairman, Central
He said the targets have been set by the chairman for the
benches besides prioritising disposal of old cases pending
since 2004 to 2007.
A total of 892 cases are pending in Jaipur bench, 888
each in Cuttack and Jabalpur benches, 779 in Ernakulam, 648 in
Bangalore, 604 in Jodhpur, 591 in Ahmedabad and 225 in
Guwahati, it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way