Over 300 suicides by Army jawans in 3 years
New Delhi: A total of 302 suicides by Army
jawans have been reported during the last three years and all
these cases were investigated by a Court of Inquiry, the
government told the Lok Sabha on Monday.
Giving this information in reply to a question on cases
of suicide in the Army, Defence Minister A K Antony said in
six of these cases, family members of the jawans had levelled
charges of murder.
"All six inquiries have been concluded and it has been
found that the jawans had in fact committed suicide," he said.
Replying to another question on Defence Framework
Agreement, the Minister said, "Defence Cooperation Agreements
have been signed with Columbia, Namibia, Vietnam, Russia,
Republic of Korea, Ecuador and Mangolia in last three years."
In his reply to a question on rescue efforts which were
undertaken after the crash of the helicopter which was
carrying former Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh Dorjee
Khnadu, Antony said, "The crash site was imaged by IAF`s
The efficacy of such searches and mapping operations
depends upon the terrain, weather, availability of coordinates
of the area and the size of debris, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert