Over 3.11 cr Aadhaar numbers generated: Govt
New Delhi: The Unique Identification
Authority of India (UIDAI) has generated over 3.11 crore
`Aadhaar` numbers till the beginning of this month, with
Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Karnataka having garnered the
maximum numbers so far, the government said on Wednesday.
"A total of 3,11,84,630 Aadhar numbers have been
generated as on September 1, 2011," Minister of State for
Planning Ashwani Kumar said in a written reply to the Lok
Over 1.06 crore Aadhaar numbers have been generated in
Andhra Pradesh, followed by almost 72 lakh in Maharashtra and
33 lakh in Karnataka, he added.
The UIDAI plans to cover 60 crore citizens under the
Aadhaar project by March 2014.
Kumar said that the total expenditure for the Aadhaar
programme stood at Rs 57.09 crore during the April-July period
of the current fiscal.
The expenditure had stood at Rs 26.21 crore in 2009-10
and Rs 268.41 crore in 2010-11.
"The total approved estimated cost of Phase I and II of
the project spread over five years from 2009-10 to 2013-14 is
Rs 3,170.32 crore," the minister said.
"Aadhar aims to provide soft identity infrastructure
which can be used to re-engineer public services so that these
lead to equitable, efficient and better delivery of services,"
The minister said that current enrolment under the scheme
"Enrolment of residents for Aadhaar number is voluntary.
As and when the implementing ministries, departments and
agencies consider the application of Aadhaar number in their
programmes, schemes or services, they may also decide whether
it is required to be mandatory for their purpose," he said.
UIDAI has been mandated by the government to issue a
unique identification number -- `Aadhar`. It can be verified
and authenticated online in a cost effective manner and will
eliminate duplicate and fake identity proofs.
The programme was initially conceived by the Planning
Commission in 2006 as an initiative to provide identification
proof for each Indian resident and would be primarily used as
the basis of efficient delivery of welfare services.
It would also act as a tool for effective monitoring of
various programmes and schemes of the Government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla