Over 37,000 villages have no mobile phones
New Delhi: Over 37,000 villages in the country have not got mobile phone connectivity till March 2011, according to data from the telecom department.
Minister of State for Communications and IT Milind Deora said in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha on Friday that "37,184 villages in the country are yet to be connected with mobile connectivity as on March 2011".
The minister also said that till July 31, the state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) has covered all district headquarters and 33,620 cities with GSM (Global System for Mobile communications) based cellular services.
About 579,486 villages, over 97 percent of the census 2001 inhabited revenue villages, have been covered with telephone connectivity through village public telephones.
Shared mobile infrastructure scheme has been launched by universal service obligation fund to provide subsidy support for setting up and managing 7,353 towers in 500 districts and over 27 states for provision of mobile services in the specified rural and remote areas.
Villages or cluster of villages having population of 2,000 or more and not having mobile coverage were taken into consideration for installation of the tower under this scheme, including hilly, tribal and Maoist-affected areas where there was no existing fixed wireless or mobile coverage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!