Over 5 kg of gold seized at two airports, 10 arrested
Thiruvananthapuram/Chennai: Customs officials on Wednesday seized gold weighing 5.3 kg and valued at over Rs 1.25 crore being smuggled into the country and took into custody 10 persons at two airports.
Around 3.5 kg of gold bars was seized from eight passengers who arrived from Singapore in Thiruvananthapuram airport, while customs officials at Chennai airport recovered 1.800 grams gold biscuits from two passengers, including a Sri Lankan national, official sources said.
The contraband seized at Thiruvananthapuram and valued around Rs one crore was concealed under shawls, they said.
The eight passengers, who were arrested, hailed from Pudukotai and Tiruchirappalli in Tamil Nadu who had gone on a tour to Singapore.
Investigation was on to ascertain whether these persons were carrying the gold for some other persons, they said.
Security and checking has been tightened at the airport in view of the gold smuggling case also involving customs officials at Nedumbassery Airport in Kochi came to light recently.
In Chennai, Mohammad Nawas, a Sri Lankan national, was arrested after he attempted to pass through customs carrying undeclared gold weighing 800 grams after arriving from Colombo.
Later, they arrested another person who arrived in a flight from Singapore via Tiruchirapalli after it was found that he carried one kg of gold biscuits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery