Over 5 kg of gold seized at two airports, 10 arrested
Thiruvananthapuram/Chennai: Customs officials on Wednesday seized gold weighing 5.3 kg and valued at over Rs 1.25 crore being smuggled into the country and took into custody 10 persons at two airports.
Around 3.5 kg of gold bars was seized from eight passengers who arrived from Singapore in Thiruvananthapuram airport, while customs officials at Chennai airport recovered 1.800 grams gold biscuits from two passengers, including a Sri Lankan national, official sources said.
The contraband seized at Thiruvananthapuram and valued around Rs one crore was concealed under shawls, they said.
The eight passengers, who were arrested, hailed from Pudukotai and Tiruchirappalli in Tamil Nadu who had gone on a tour to Singapore.
Investigation was on to ascertain whether these persons were carrying the gold for some other persons, they said.
Security and checking has been tightened at the airport in view of the gold smuggling case also involving customs officials at Nedumbassery Airport in Kochi came to light recently.
In Chennai, Mohammad Nawas, a Sri Lankan national, was arrested after he attempted to pass through customs carrying undeclared gold weighing 800 grams after arriving from Colombo.
Later, they arrested another person who arrived in a flight from Singapore via Tiruchirapalli after it was found that he carried one kg of gold biscuits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report