Over 5 kg of gold seized at two airports, 10 arrested
Thiruvananthapuram/Chennai: Customs officials on Wednesday seized gold weighing 5.3 kg and valued at over Rs 1.25 crore being smuggled into the country and took into custody 10 persons at two airports.
Around 3.5 kg of gold bars was seized from eight passengers who arrived from Singapore in Thiruvananthapuram airport, while customs officials at Chennai airport recovered 1.800 grams gold biscuits from two passengers, including a Sri Lankan national, official sources said.
The contraband seized at Thiruvananthapuram and valued around Rs one crore was concealed under shawls, they said.
The eight passengers, who were arrested, hailed from Pudukotai and Tiruchirappalli in Tamil Nadu who had gone on a tour to Singapore.
Investigation was on to ascertain whether these persons were carrying the gold for some other persons, they said.
Security and checking has been tightened at the airport in view of the gold smuggling case also involving customs officials at Nedumbassery Airport in Kochi came to light recently.
In Chennai, Mohammad Nawas, a Sri Lankan national, was arrested after he attempted to pass through customs carrying undeclared gold weighing 800 grams after arriving from Colombo.
Later, they arrested another person who arrived in a flight from Singapore via Tiruchirapalli after it was found that he carried one kg of gold biscuits.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!