Over 5 lakh vacancies in police forces: Govt
New Delhi: Over five lakh posts are vacant in police forces in various states, government told the Lok Sabha on Tuesday.
"The sanctioned strength of total police force as on January 1, 2011 is 20,64,370 and the actual strength is 15,63,301 with a vacancy of 5,02,420," Minister of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran said during Question Hour.
He said at present there are 131 policemen per one lakh population as against 173 policemen per lakh population, which is the norm prescribed by the Bureau of Police Research and Development.
Ramachandran dismissed claims of members that certain states were discriminated against by the Centre in allocation of funds for modernisation of police forces.
"We do not discriminate between states. We follow a formula prescribed by the BPR&D," he said.
Ramachandran said it was the responsibility of state governments to impart training to state police personnel in its police training institutions.
"It is the responsibility of state governments to fill the vacancies. State governments have been advised from time to time by the Ministry of Home Affairs to fill existing vacancies in state police forces to deal with law and order problems," he said.
Ramachandran said in 2011, as many as 20,248 AK-47 rifles, 16,734 Glock-17 pistols, 7,760 Glock-19 pistols and 3,641 Glock-26 pistols have been given to various states and Union Territories.
As many as 2,220 SIG-556 assault rifles have been allocated to Gujarat, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues