Over 600 IMA cadets join the Army in style
Dehra Dun: It was a proud moment for
22-year-old Gaurav Hridaya, who was adjudged the best
all-rounder cadet at the Passing Out Parade at Indian Military
Academy (IMA) on Saturday.
Besides a silver medal for standing second in the order
of merit in regular course, Meerut-based Hridaya received the
coveted Sword of Honour from Arunanchal Pradesh Governor Gen
(retd) J J Singh for being the `Best All Round Gentleman
Cadet` of IMA.
Cadet Sumeet S Lahane was awarded gold medal for standing
first in the course while Yogendra Kathayat won bronze medal
in the same course.
They were among the 602 cadets who became proud officers
of the Indian army today after they crossed the "final step"
at the hallowed portals of the historic Chetwode building.
23 other cadets joined paramilitary force Assam Rifles
following a ceremonious parade.
Gen Singh, who has been an alumni of the academy in 1964,
was the reviewing officer of the parade. He also inspected a
guard of honour while choppers showered petals.
132 cadets were from Uttar Pradesh, 56 from Haryana and
51 from hill state of Uttarakhand.
Besides, 625 cadets, 23 other cadets are from seven
countries of Bhutan, Mauritius, Tajikistan, Kazakstan, Nepal
Maldives and Sri Lanka also passed out of the IMA this year.
All the cadets were administered oath to the
constitution by the Adjutant of the IMA amid tight security
From its first course of 40 Cadets, the IMA has so far
trained nearly 49000 officers for the Indian army.
Later, talking to reporters Gen (retd) Singh termed the
Naxalism as the bigger threat than the terrorism and asked the
freshly-recruited officers to keep updated on advanced methods
to deal with such threats.
Regarding involving army in dealing with the problem of
Naxalism, Gen (retd) Singh said it was upto the the three
chiefs of armed forces and the centre to take a decision on
To a question about incidents of Chinese intrusion in
Arunanchal Pradesh, he said the relations between India and
China are very old and every issue would be resolved mutually
When asked whether the cases of corruption are
tarnishing the image of Indian army, Gen (retd) Singh said
although there are some black sheep but such cases cannot dent
the honest image of army.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow