Over 6800 graft cases pending in CBI courts
New Delhi: Over 6,800 corruption cases are pending in various special CBI courts across the country with the highest number of such pending cases in the national capital, Lok Sabha was informed Wednesday.
"Yes. There are 6894 cases pending trial across the country under Prevention of Corruption of Act in various CBI courts as on January 31, 2013," Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions V Narayanasamy said in response to a written question.
According to data presented by the Minister, special CBI courts in Delhi have 950 pending cases in which 23 are continuing for over two decades while 166 are continuing trial for over 10 years.
Delhi is followed by Maharashtra where 736 corruption cases are pending in various CBI courts while West Bengal is third in the list with 661 cases, the statement shows.
"After filing of charge sheet in any case, trial of case is a judicial process and depends on the court to finalise it.
"The cases of CBI are complicated and involve voluminous documents and large number of witnesses. The trial of the cases is completed with due judicial process like hearings, appearance of accused persons, witnesses etc. On time and delay in process leads to pendency of cases," the Minister said.
He said there were 46 courts of Special Judge and 10 courts of Special Magistrates functioning exclusively for the trial of CBI cases all over the country.
"In line with the recommendations of the Chief Justice of India, the Central Government decided to set up 71 additional Special Courts exclusively for the trial of CBI cases in different states. Out of these 71 courts, 66 courts have started functioning," he said.
He said on the directions of the Supreme Court of India in Criminal Appeal Number 88-93 of 2003, the Government is in the process of sanctioning 22 more additional special courts in different States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog