Over 6800 graft cases pending in CBI courts
New Delhi: Over 6,800 corruption cases are pending in various special CBI courts across the country with the highest number of such pending cases in the national capital, Lok Sabha was informed Wednesday.
"Yes. There are 6894 cases pending trial across the country under Prevention of Corruption of Act in various CBI courts as on January 31, 2013," Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions V Narayanasamy said in response to a written question.
According to data presented by the Minister, special CBI courts in Delhi have 950 pending cases in which 23 are continuing for over two decades while 166 are continuing trial for over 10 years.
Delhi is followed by Maharashtra where 736 corruption cases are pending in various CBI courts while West Bengal is third in the list with 661 cases, the statement shows.
"After filing of charge sheet in any case, trial of case is a judicial process and depends on the court to finalise it.
"The cases of CBI are complicated and involve voluminous documents and large number of witnesses. The trial of the cases is completed with due judicial process like hearings, appearance of accused persons, witnesses etc. On time and delay in process leads to pendency of cases," the Minister said.
He said there were 46 courts of Special Judge and 10 courts of Special Magistrates functioning exclusively for the trial of CBI cases all over the country.
"In line with the recommendations of the Chief Justice of India, the Central Government decided to set up 71 additional Special Courts exclusively for the trial of CBI cases in different states. Out of these 71 courts, 66 courts have started functioning," he said.
He said on the directions of the Supreme Court of India in Criminal Appeal Number 88-93 of 2003, the Government is in the process of sanctioning 22 more additional special courts in different States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray