Over 80 per cent of LS members are graduates
New Delhi: Our legislators may have come
under attack from supporters of Anna Hazare for their level of
competence to frame laws, but the truth is that more than 80
per cent of MPs in Lok Sabha are graduates while over 30 per
cent possess post-graduate and doctoral degrees.
"Though our Constitution does not prescribe any formal
qualification to contest elections, it is our experience that
persons without some level of qualification are rarely found
or almost non-existent among legislators in the country," said
officials attached with the Lok Sabha.
Last week, actor Om Puri reportedly sought to reignite
the issue of the level of qualification of our Parliamentarians
while making his observations at Ramlila Maidan here
supporting Hazare`s agitation.
Figures, however, reveal that in the 15th Lok Sabha none
of the MPs is illiterate - close to 50 per cent of MPs are
either graduate or possess post-graduate degrees.
In all, 80.74 per cent of the members have educational
qualifiction at the level of graduation and above. Further, 24
MPs are doctorates.
Only 20 MPs are under matric and 32 are matric pass.
While 291 MPs are first time members of the Lower House,
184 were re-elected, lending their level of experience
to the House.
According to figures, the 15th lok Sabha with 80.74 per
cent of its members having educational qualification at the
level of graduation and above, follows the pattern of 14th Lok
Sabha (77.16) per cent as the largest group.
Significantly, the House also boasts of members who have
obtained professional degrees, with 29 MPs possessing
professional degrees and 106 having professional degrees at
the graduation level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof