`Over 80,000 troops in anti-Naxal operations`
New Delhi: More than 80,000 troops have been
deployed for anti-naxal operations in various Maoist-affected
states of the country, the government said on Tuesday.
Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh, while giving
the breakup of the forces in a written reply to Lok Sabha,
said "at present, 71 battalions of central armed police
forces, one Nagaland India Reserve battalion and 9 Commando
Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) have been deployed in
naxal-affected states to assist state forces in anti-naxal
A single battalion has a strength close to 1,000
personnel and with a total of 81 battalions, the approximate
strength of these forces comes to 81,000 personnel.
Singh also said that the level of violence and attack on
security forces have "declined" this year.
"The year 2011 (up to August 15) has recorded 1,128
incidents of naxal violence and killing of 93 security
personnel as compared to 1,429 incidents of violence and
killing of 218 security personnel during the corresponding
period of 2010," he said.
The minister said anti-naxal operations are carried out
on a "continuous basis" by security forces while denying a
question that any operation with codename `Operation
Greenhorn" has been launched by the government in this regard.
Paramilitary forces like CRPF, ITBP, BSF and SSB are
deployed by the central government for counter-naxal
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal