‘Over 960 ragging cases recorded so far this year’
New Delhi: More than 960 cases of ragging in educational institutions across the country have been reported so far this year despite a number of measures being taken to curb the menace.
"As per information available, 961 cases of alleged
ragging were registered in anti-ragging toll-free helpline
during the period from January to November, 2011," Minister of
State for HRD D Purandeswari said in a written reply to Lok
However, Purandeswari said, "Incidents of ragging have
substantially come down after pro-active efforts by Central
Government have been launched."
On the measures being taken to curb the practice, the
Minister said, "Advisories are being issued to states and
higher education institutions every year to take stringent
measures, including filing criminal cases against those found
indulging in ragging."
Apart from that, University Grants Commission, All India
Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Dental council of
India (DCI), Medical Council of India (MCI) have also issued
regulations regarding anti-ragging for strict compliance.
There is also a toll-free anti-ragging helpline which has
been in operation since June 2009, she noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad