Over Rs 1 cr donated by Japan to three NGOs
Chennai: Extending support to people centric projects, Japan has donated over Rs one crore to various NGOs in Southern States this year, Japan Consul General Masanori Nakano said here on Tuesday.
The Government of Japan funds developmental projects of non-governmental organisations through its Grant Assistance of Grassroots Project (GGP) under the Consulate General of Japan, Chennai in southern India.
Speaking to reporters after granting USD 285,157 (around Rs 1.43 crore)to three projects of NGOs, Nakano said the aimof GGP projects is to support implementation of community development projects directly benefiting people at the grassroots level.
He said that since 1990, it has supported over 100 projects valued at USD 71,45,993 (around Rs 36.01 crore).
In the 2011-12 fiscal, Japan has so far donated USD 3,90,833 (about Rs 1.43 crore) compared to USD 458,002 (around Rs 2.30 crore) funded in 2010-11.
"I hope the grants will be utilised to the maximum in appropriate and effective manner for the betterment of the people in need. These three projects are particularly important because they will reach out to the unreached", he said.
Three NGOs include Rural Area Development Trust, Theni, Scientific Educational Development for Community Organisation, Tuticorin (two from Tamil Nadu) and Shreyas Social Service Centre, Wayanad (Kerala) received the grant from the Consul General on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt