Over Rs 1 cr donated by Japan to three NGOs
Chennai: Extending support to people centric projects, Japan has donated over Rs one crore to various NGOs in Southern States this year, Japan Consul General Masanori Nakano said here on Tuesday.
The Government of Japan funds developmental projects of non-governmental organisations through its Grant Assistance of Grassroots Project (GGP) under the Consulate General of Japan, Chennai in southern India.
Speaking to reporters after granting USD 285,157 (around Rs 1.43 crore)to three projects of NGOs, Nakano said the aimof GGP projects is to support implementation of community development projects directly benefiting people at the grassroots level.
He said that since 1990, it has supported over 100 projects valued at USD 71,45,993 (around Rs 36.01 crore).
In the 2011-12 fiscal, Japan has so far donated USD 3,90,833 (about Rs 1.43 crore) compared to USD 458,002 (around Rs 2.30 crore) funded in 2010-11.
"I hope the grants will be utilised to the maximum in appropriate and effective manner for the betterment of the people in need. These three projects are particularly important because they will reach out to the unreached", he said.
Three NGOs include Rural Area Development Trust, Theni, Scientific Educational Development for Community Organisation, Tuticorin (two from Tamil Nadu) and Shreyas Social Service Centre, Wayanad (Kerala) received the grant from the Consul General on the occasion.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists