Over Rs 11,800 cr foreign contribution received by organisations, NGOs
New Delhi: The Government on Wednesday said a total sum of Rs 11,838 crore was received by various organisations, including in the NGO sector, as foreign contribution from 164 countries.
Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju provided the data in a written reply to Rajya Sabha today.
"There are various Non-Governmental Organisations working across the country. Most of these are associated with schemes of various ministries, departments and state concerns. Ministry of Home Affairs deals with the NGOs which are getting contributions from foreign source. As on date, 42,529 organisations are registered under Foreign Contributions (Regulation) Act, 2010. As per available information, during the year 2012-13, a total sum of Rs 11,838 crore approximately was received as foreign contribution from 164 countries," he said.
In a separate reply, Rijiju said that on the basis of complaints received in the past and enquiries conducted, 24 cases have so far been referred to CBI and 10 cases have been referred to state police for investigation with regard to complaints of fraudulent activities received against NGOs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress