Over Rs 2 L cr spent on defence equipment in 3 yrs
New Delhi: India spent around Rs two lakh crore for procuring defence equipment for its armed forces in the last three years, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
"Rs 1.98 lakh crore has been the total expenditure on procurement of defence equipment for armed forces during the last three years," Defence Minister AK Antony said in a written reply.
India has undertaken a major military modernisation drive under which it is planning to spend more than USD 100 billion in the next five years for procuring weapon systems for the armed forces.
It is in the process of signing several big-ticket deals including multi-billion contracts for procuring 126 multi-role combat aircraft, 197 helicopters for Army and Air Force and artillery guns worth over Rs 20,000 crore for the Army.
In recent times, it procured six C-130J Super Hercules aircraft for the IAF, several tankers and warships for the Navy and also embarked on major upgrade programmes of existing inventory of tanks and aircraft in armed forces` fleets.
Giving the break-up of these expenditure in the last three years, the Defence minister said Rs 56,507 crore was spent in 2009-10, Rs 67,138.38 crore in 2010-11 and Rs 74,408 crore in the last fiscal.
Answering another query, Antony said the Indian systems of medicine have not been introduced in the armed forces.
He said there are specific requirements to handle medical emergencies such as myocardial infarction, cardiac arrest, head injuries which can be best taken care by allopathic physician and surgeons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users