Over Rs 78,000 cr spent in 3 years for weapon system import
New Delhi: India has spent over Rs 78,000 crore in the last three years for importing weapon systems and military hardware from countries including the US, Russia, Germany, Israel and the United Kingdom, the government on Monday said.
"The expenditure made on import of weapons, equipments during the last three years and the current financial year includes Rs 13,411.91 crore in 2009-10, Rs 15,44.01 crore in 2010-11, Rs 24,193 crore in 2011-12 and Rs 251,26 crore in 2012-13," Defence minister AK Antony told Lok Sabha in reply to a written query.
In the last few years, India has procured several new systems such as P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft, ten new C-17 heavy lift transport aircraft and C-130J Super Hercules aircraft.
Answering another query, Antony said CBI has informed that its probe in Tatra truck deal was related to the point that these "trucks were not purchased from the original manufacturer during the period 1997 onwards and BEML failed to achieve 100 per cent indigenisation in the last 24 years as first agreement was signed with M/s Omnipal in 1986 and all documents for indigenisation were received by BEML".
"BEML converted the payment currency from USD to Euros on the request of Tatra Sipox UK limited, the supplier firm and this action resulted in loss of Rs 4 crores to BEML," Antony said.
He said Letter Rogatories (LRs) are being sent to various countries and the investigation will be finalised on receipt of replies from the countries concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown