Oz attacks: MEA calls Indian High Commissioner to Delhi
New Delhi: India has called its High
Commissioner to Australia Sujata Singh for consultations in
the backdrop of continuing attacks on Indians there.
The High Commissioner will be here on February 10 and
will brief External Affairs Minister S M Krishna and Foreign
Secretary Nirupama Rao on the situation, sources said here
She is expected to give her assessment about what
steps the Australian government has taken to prevent the
attacks and punish the guilty.
Krishna had met his Australian counterpart Stephen
Smith in London last week twice on the sidelines on a
multilateral conference on Afghanistan.
Smith has assured Krishna that a high-level working
group would be set up by the federal government and the
government of Victoria state to study the spate of attacks on
Indians in that country.
Over 100 Indians, mostly students have been attacked
in Australia since last year, and one of the attacks has been
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India