`Oz: Attacks on Indian students declined sharply`
New Delhi: There was no evidence to suggest that attacks on Indian students in foreign countries were increasing, the government on Friday said, adding that such incidents had shown a "sharp" decline in Australia in 2011 compared to previous two years.
This was stated in Rajya Sabha by Minister of State for Human Resource Development D Purandeswari in response to a question.
During 2010-12, three incidents of attack on Indian students have been reported by the High Commission of India in London and four incidents of attack on Indian students have been reported from the United States, Purandeswari said.
"There have been instances over the past three years wherein Indian students in Australia were attacked. The number of attacks on Indian students in Australia has shown a sharp decrease in 2011 as compared to previous two years," Purandeswari said.
While responding to another question in Parliament, the minister said 39 of the country`s universities had an unspent amount of over Rs 766 crore from grants given to them as on January 31, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi