Oz FM to discuss racial attacks, CWG during India visit
Melbourne: Australia`s Foreign Affairs
Minister Stephen Smith is heading to India on Monday to discuss
with Indian authorities the security preparation for the
Commonwealth Games and the issue of attacks on Indians here.
On his second visit to India since last year, Smith will
meet government officials in New Delhi to discuss the October
Games and will also watch Australia compete in the Hockey
World Cup in the national capital.
Smith leaves Perth for the subcontinent tomorrow on a
three-day trip during which he would brief Indian government
on actions taken by Australia to ensure a safe environment for
"At government or official level, there is very much an
understanding that behind these attacks is not an
all-pervading racism," Smith was quoted as saying by AAP.
Smith also said in a statement that he would brief the
Indian government "on actions taken by authorities to create a
safe and rewarding study environment for Indian students in
"I will meet with Minister for External Affairs S M
Krishna, following on from our meeting in London in January,"
the foreign minister said.
There has been a flurry of visits by top Australian
dignitaries, including Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and deputy
Prime Minister and Education Minister Julia Gillard, in the
past year to reassure New Delhi that Australia was a safe
destination for Indians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections