Oz racial attack victim Nitin Garg cremated
Jagraon (Punjab): Hundreds of mourners turned out despite the prevailing cold wave condition as Nitin Garg, the first Indian to be killed in a suspected racial attack in Australia, was cremated in this Punjab town Sunday afternoon.
The body of Nitin, brought from Melbourne Saturday to New Delhi in a coffin, was consigned to flames at the local cremation ground here.
Family members kept media persons at bay and rued official apathy in getting the body of the victim here.
Nitin was attacked in Melbourne Jan 3 by a group of unidentified youth. He was stabbed by the attackers and then beaten up before being dumped in nearby bushes.
Though he managed to drag himself to a nearby Hungry Jacks fast-food eatery, Nitin succumbed to his injuries later in hospital.
Though nearly 1,500 attacks, many of them racially motivated, have been reported against Indian students and immigrants in different places in Australia, two of these attacks this year have resulted in two deaths.
Another youth from Punjab, Ranjodh Singh was found dead in New South Wales province of Australia this month.
Thousands of students from Punjab have, in the last five years, moved for studies to Australia.
The thriving education and immigration industry from Punjab to Australia is worth millions of dollars annually.
But the repeated incidents of reported racial violence, particularly targeting Indians and youth from Punjab, have affected the number of applicants from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni a step closer to main draw
- Tata Motors profits fall on weak Jaguar Land Rover sales
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs