Oz state PM cancels Mumbai visit following terror alert
Melbourne: Victorian Premier John Brumby,
set to arrive in India this week, has cancelled his planned
trip to Mumbai following a travel advisory on possible terror
attacks in the city, a media report said Sunday.
Brumby will now spend more time in New Delhi after
omitting Mumbai from his itinerary for Wednesday and Thursday,
the Sky news TV channel said.
The last minute change was made following updated travel
advice from Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT), it said.
Last week, DFAT reviewed its travel advice for India
stating "credible information indicates that terrorists may be
planning further attacks in Mumbai, including at places
frequented by tourists, in September or October 2009."
DFAT`s overall level of travel advice for India has not
changed from urging a high degree of caution.
Brumby`s trip follows Deputy Prime Minister and
Education Minister Julia Gillard`s visit to India as part of
Australia`s efforts to assure Indians, particularly students,
of safety in the wake of a series of racial attacks.
Victorian capital Melbourne witnessed most of the
attacks on Indian students in the last few months, following
concerns of safety in India.
Indians form a major chunk of foreign students studying
in Australia and are considered vital for the country`s
Brumby has insisted that Victoria was still the safest
place in Australia "in terms of our crime rate".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof