Oz state PM cancels Mumbai visit following terror alert
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, September 20, 2009, 13:19
  
Melbourne: Victorian Premier John Brumby, set to arrive in India this week, has cancelled his planned trip to Mumbai following a travel advisory on possible terror attacks in the city, a media report said Sunday.

Brumby will now spend more time in New Delhi after omitting Mumbai from his itinerary for Wednesday and Thursday, the Sky news TV channel said.

The last minute change was made following updated travel advice from Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT), it said.

Last week, DFAT reviewed its travel advice for India stating "credible information indicates that terrorists may be planning further attacks in Mumbai, including at places frequented by tourists, in September or October 2009."

DFAT's overall level of travel advice for India has not changed from urging a high degree of caution.

Brumby's trip follows Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister Julia Gillard's visit to India as part of Australia's efforts to assure Indians, particularly students, of safety in the wake of a series of racial attacks.

Victorian capital Melbourne witnessed most of the attacks on Indian students in the last few months, following concerns of safety in India.

Indians form a major chunk of foreign students studying in Australia and are considered vital for the country's education sector.

Brumby has insisted that Victoria was still the safest place in Australia "in terms of our crime rate".

Bureau Report


First Published: Sunday, September 20, 2009, 13:19


comments powered by Disqus