Oz teen pleads guilty to killing Indian student
Melbourne: A 16-year-old boy Wednesday
pleaded guilty to killing Indian student Nitin Garg, a crime which threatened Australia`s ties with India.
The teenager, whose identity has not been revealed,
appeared in Supreme court where he pleaded guilty to one count
of murder and one count of attempted armed robbery in the
killing of Garg.
21-year-old Garg, who migrated from Punjab, was
fatally stabbed in the abdomen by assailants in Cruickshank
Park in Melbourne`s Yarraville while on his way to work in
January last year.
The teenager`s friend was sentenced to 18 months
probation last year after agreeing to testify against the
murderer in a trial and pleading guilty to accessory to
The friend`s plea hearing was told that he had worn a
wire to record the murderer talking about the crime.
The murder, which followed a series of attacks on
Indians, made international headlines and provoked fear among
Indian students in Australia.
The incident led to outcry in India, forcing the
police authorities to solve it. The police reportedly planted
a recording device at his house where the murderer`s mother
told her son `I knew you did it`.
The accessory agreed to wear a wire to record
conversations between himself and his friend and police also
installed listening devices at the accused murderer`s home.
In one, the boy`s mother asked, "Did you do it?"
Son replied, "Yeah."
Mother, "Yeah, I knew you did it". Son: "I come back
and I just saw him walking there. Had the biggest knife [with]
me, a big silver one and I saw him."
Mother, "Yeah, and you don`t mention about having any
knives at all if they ask you."
Son, "Definitely not."
The teenager was remanded in custody to appear in the
Victorian Supreme Court for a pre-sentence hearing in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video