Oz’s Labor votes for uranium sale to India
Melbourne: Australia`s ruling Labor on Sunday voted to overturn a decades-old ban on uranium sale to India,
paving the way for Canberra to supply yellowcake to a nation
outside the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
Delegates at the 46th national conference of the Labor in
Sydney endorsed Prime Minister Julia Gillard`s plan to export
uranium to India, with 206 of them voting in favour and 185
Gillard, while moving a motion to change the party`s
policy on the issue, said that clearing the move would boost
trade and enhance Australia`s ties with India.
"We are at the right time in the history of the world to
seize a new era of opportunity in this, the Asian century,"
"We need to make sure that across our regions we have the
strongest possible relationships we can, including with the
world`s largest democracy, India," she said.
The landmark policy change came after a fiery debate,
with Gillard, who was supported by Resources Minister Martin
Ferguson, Defence Minister Stephen Smith and South Australian
Premier Jay Weatherill, saying that it was not rational that
Australia sells uranium to China but not to India.
She also faced opposition from some of her own ministers.
Australia has almost 40 per cent of the world`s known
uranium reserves but has not been supplying yellowcake to
non-NPT signatories. India has been requesting Canberra for
long to overturn it ban on exporting uranium to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'