PAC slams Defence Ministry, Maharashtra govt for Adarsh scam
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel has rapped the Defence ministry and the Maharashtra government for "monumental failure" at all levels of governance with certain officials abusing their position leading to the Adarsh Housing Society scam.
The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) in its draft report on the Adarsh scam has said a group of select officials holding key posts subverted rules and regulations as also facts and took the ruse of welfare of servicemen, war widows and children.
"The Committee`s scrutiny corroborated the irregularities in the entire process right from the allocation of land to the society, obtaining `no objection certificate` (NoC) from the Army, extension of various consessions by the Government of Maharasthra, getting NoC from BEST for transfer of developmental rights of the adjoining land, obtaining clearances for residential development in Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) by certain officials who abused their official position for personel gain," says the report.
The report says when the Defence Ministry was asked how NoC was given to the society, it was informed that it was issued by the defence authorities "because of mismanagement of Defence land, poor record keeping and lack of mutation of land already in possession of the Armed Forces."
Regarding security concerns, the PAC found that these were ignored while constructing the 31-storey building in Colaba area.
While asking the government to ensure that such incidents are not repeated, the PAC refrained from making "further comments as the matter is still subjudice with respect to the title of the land and other concerned issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray