PAC to examine Adarsh, CWG scams from Monday
New Delhi: Parliament`s Public Accounts
Committee will begin examining from Monday the CAG report on
the Adarsh housing society scam that had named two former
Maharashtra Chief Ministers and top army officials for
Officials from the Defence Ministry will brief the PAC,
chaired by BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi, on the Adarsh
Co-operative Housing Society in Mumbai.
The CAG, in its report tabled in Parliament on August 9,
had found that rules were bent to benefit relatives of
politicians, public servants and senior service officers,
including former Army chiefs Gen Deepak Kapoor and N C Vij.
The government auditor had also named two former Chief
Ministers Ashok Chavan and Sushilkumar Shinde as part of the
process of giving clearances to the Society`s project. It came
down heavily on concessions granted by the Maharashtra
The PAC will also begin examining the CAG report on the
alleged irregularities in the conduct of the Commonwealth
Games here in October last year.
The CAG had dragged the PMO in the CWG mess by saying that
Suresh Kalmadi, who is jail for alleged irregularities, was
appointed as Organising Committee chief at its behest in 2004
despite "serious objections" from within government.
The auditor also blamed Delhi Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit`s "active involvement" for causing a loss of Rs 30
crore as it highlighted how wasteful expenditure worth several
hundred crore of rupees was caused in conduct of the CWG
through "irregularities", "favouritism" and "bias" in award of
contracts for projects.
In its 743-page report, the CAG faulted the government for
not setting up a "single point of authority and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India