PAC to examine Adarsh, CWG scams from Monday
New Delhi: Parliament`s Public Accounts
Committee will begin examining from Monday the CAG report on
the Adarsh housing society scam that had named two former
Maharashtra Chief Ministers and top army officials for
Officials from the Defence Ministry will brief the PAC,
chaired by BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi, on the Adarsh
Co-operative Housing Society in Mumbai.
The CAG, in its report tabled in Parliament on August 9,
had found that rules were bent to benefit relatives of
politicians, public servants and senior service officers,
including former Army chiefs Gen Deepak Kapoor and N C Vij.
The government auditor had also named two former Chief
Ministers Ashok Chavan and Sushilkumar Shinde as part of the
process of giving clearances to the Society`s project. It came
down heavily on concessions granted by the Maharashtra
The PAC will also begin examining the CAG report on the
alleged irregularities in the conduct of the Commonwealth
Games here in October last year.
The CAG had dragged the PMO in the CWG mess by saying that
Suresh Kalmadi, who is jail for alleged irregularities, was
appointed as Organising Committee chief at its behest in 2004
despite "serious objections" from within government.
The auditor also blamed Delhi Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit`s "active involvement" for causing a loss of Rs 30
crore as it highlighted how wasteful expenditure worth several
hundred crore of rupees was caused in conduct of the CWG
through "irregularities", "favouritism" and "bias" in award of
contracts for projects.
In its 743-page report, the CAG faulted the government for
not setting up a "single point of authority and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion