Pachauri was wrongly targeted: Farooq Abdullah
New Delhi: Coming to the defence of IPCC
chief RK Pachauri, Union Renewable Energy Minister Farooq
Abdullah on Saturday said he had been wrongly targeted and people
will realise it soon.
"Recently, Pachauri has been under tremendous attack. People
did not spare Jesus Christ, Prophet Mohammad when they spoke
about harmony and goodwill. Gandhi was targeted for his good
work also. Today, Pachauri is being targeted... one day they
will realise," Abdullah said at the Delhi Sustainable
Pachauri is under attack for the report by his
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) which had
predicted that the Himalayan glaciers will melt by 2035.
The claim was disputed by the government and some
Defending Pachauri, the minister said the government
stands firmly behind him.
Abdullah`s appreciation for Pachauri came a day after
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh extended his support to him.
Pachauri has already admitted that the report on
Himalayan glacier by the IPCC was a human error.
Abdullah highlighted a number of initiative taken by
the government to tap energy from non-conventional energy
He said the government aims to harness 20,000 MW of
power from solar energy by 2022. Besides, he said, the
government has decided to increase power generation from wind
by 2,000 MW per year.
The minister harped on technology transfer between
developed and developing countries as a way forward to tackle
the issue of climate change.
Speaking at the event, Australian Minister for
Resource and Energy Martin Ferguson said that the Copenhagen
Summit gives a roadmap on how to bring down the global
"We want to operationalise the accord," he said,
emphasising on more research and development on the subject.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state