Padma awards shouldn`t be given to those with taint: Cong
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of US-based
hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal getting a Padma Bhushan, Congress on Tuesday said these awards should be given to people who enhance its prestige and not to those with a "taint".
"We are not talking of any specific case. But these
awards should be given to people who enhance its prestige and not to those who have a taint," party spokesman Shakeel Ahmed said when asked about the row over the selection of Chatwal, who was earlier chargesheeted by the CBI in a fraud case.
"The award should be given to people whose integrity is
not doubtful," Ahmed said.
BJP Deputy Leader of the Opposition Gopinath Munde has
written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding
that the award to Chatwal be taken back. He argued that due to Chatwal`s alleged controversial financial dealings, he did not
deserve the honour.
"The Padma awards are decided by the Home Ministry after
a due process. They might have their reasons for it. Only the
Ministry could explain it," the Congress spokesman said.
He said for these awards, names come from various state
governments and other quarters to the Home Ministry. "These
are assessed and then shortlisted," he said.
Chatwal, who is considered close to former US President
Bill Clinton and his wife and US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton, was earlier chargesheeted by the CBI in an alleged
USD 9 million fraud case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...