Paid news, opinion polls a concern: CEC
New Delhi: With five states going for assembly polls before May 2010, Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Quraishi on Friday said that paid news was a matter of grave concern for the election panel.
He also suggested that opinion polls should be banned during elections.
Elections in West Bengal, Kerala, Assam, Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry are scheduled to be held by May.
"Paid news around election time is a matter of great concern. It attempts to deceive the voters and affect their opinion. All political parties are unanimous that paid news is a big problem because they are all hit by one another," Quraishi said.
"There has to be some legal means to stop this," he added.
Quoting an example, Quraishi said: "In Bihar we had a media monitoring body which kept a check on anything that appeared to be like a paid news item. We sent 86 notices and called the candidates who admitted they paid for the news. It worked."
Quraishi said the election commission and the law ministry were organising seven regional consultations on electoral reforms.
Four of them, in Bhopal, Mumbai, Kolkata and Lucknow, have already taken place and three more will take place in Chandigarh, Bangalore and Guwahati.
It will culminate in a national consultation in New Delhi April 7-8, 2010.
"Among the suggested reforms is preventing criminals from contesting elections. Political parties say that their opponents keep filing false cases against them, but some means have to be evolved to stop this. Parties should not give ticket to such people," Quraishi said.
"State funding of elections is unfortunate, but it is increasing and we are worried about it. We think that six months before the elections, government advertisements should be stopped because there is a possibility of misuse of public money," the chief election commissioner added.
"Advertisements appear even on the poll day which may affect opinions," he said.
While the election commission has the power to register a political party, there is no power to deregister one. There are many parties which do not exist and may be a money laundering device, Quraishi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today