Paid news should be curbed: Former CEC
Chennai: Decrying the practice of `paid news`, former Chief Election Commissioner TS Krishnamurthy on Friday said all stakeholders should discuss the issue and workout ways to prevent biased reports during elections.
"There is a lobby in certain media which are biased especially during elections. This has to be curbed by all the stakeholders," he said at a talk on `paid media in the present political scenario`.
"Paid news had gathered importance in recent times", he said adding `huge amount` was involved in it.
He said there were numerous TV channels across the country including local cable channels and it was impossible to regulate these channels during polls.
He said some corporates were also `influencing` media in favour of political parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Pakistan in August for SAARC meet
- Dope scandal: Narsingh Yadav's Rio Olympics fate hangs in balance as NADA set to pronounce verdict today
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today