Paid news should be curbed: Former CEC
Chennai: Decrying the practice of `paid news`, former Chief Election Commissioner TS Krishnamurthy on Friday said all stakeholders should discuss the issue and workout ways to prevent biased reports during elections.
"There is a lobby in certain media which are biased especially during elections. This has to be curbed by all the stakeholders," he said at a talk on `paid media in the present political scenario`.
"Paid news had gathered importance in recent times", he said adding `huge amount` was involved in it.
He said there were numerous TV channels across the country including local cable channels and it was impossible to regulate these channels during polls.
He said some corporates were also `influencing` media in favour of political parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional