Paid news should be curbed: Former CEC
Chennai: Decrying the practice of `paid news`, former Chief Election Commissioner TS Krishnamurthy on Friday said all stakeholders should discuss the issue and workout ways to prevent biased reports during elections.
"There is a lobby in certain media which are biased especially during elections. This has to be curbed by all the stakeholders," he said at a talk on `paid media in the present political scenario`.
"Paid news had gathered importance in recent times", he said adding `huge amount` was involved in it.
He said there were numerous TV channels across the country including local cable channels and it was impossible to regulate these channels during polls.
He said some corporates were also `influencing` media in favour of political parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film