Pained by PM`s statement on UPA allies: Pawar
Mumbai: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s statement on UPA allies has caused "pain and unease" to us, NCP chief and Union minister Sharad Pawar said on Tuesday.
Speaking in Parliament yesterday, Singh had referred to the challenges that a coalition government faces when making policy and other decisions.
He had said difficult decisions were getting "more difficult" because of coalition compulsions. The statement came in the backdrop of the Congress-led UPA government facing stiff opposition from allies over various measures.
"There is not even a single instance where we (NCP) have caused any hindrance (for the government). Making such a sweeping statement has caused anguish and unease for us.
"I am the NCP chief. We have 15 MPs in Parliament. We have been working with this PM and the government for the last 7-8 years," Pawar said.
There has been no occasion when the government took one decision and NCP another, Pawar said. "We maintain coalition dharma."
Asked if the government would become unstable over the PM`s remarks, Pawar said he does not see any such thing happening. To another query, the Union minister ruled out possibility of mid-term polls.
Pawar clarified that his party had no grouse against the ruling coalition at the Centre and his reaction was limited only to the PM`s statement.
"We don`t have any other grouse against the UPA government. It is limited only to the PM`s statement. If he has issues with any (ally) party, the PM has the full right to take a position on it.
"We felt bad about the PM`s statement, because we (NCP) never acted like this (against coalition dharma)," Pawar maintained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport