Pak action against terror necessary for resumption of dialogue
Brasilia: Though it has been persistently demanding action against JuD chief Hafiz Saeed, India has made it clear that it wants Pakistan to go beyond to demonstrate
that it has taken "credible action" against terrorism which is necessary for resumption of full-fledged dialogue.
New Delhi is clear that only action against Saeed, the mastermind of the Mumbai terror attacks, would not change its approach towards Pakistan and that the country needs to do
more in ending terrorism directed against India.
Action against Saeed could be useful to indicate that
something is being done against terrorists. But it does not
mean that all is well and that the Composite Dialogue process
can resume, sources said.
They said action against Saeed might show "some degree
of will" on part of Pakistan to act against those behind
terrorist activities in India.
"Even if Hafiz Saeed is removed from the world, that
will not be the solution to the problem," the sources said.
They pointed out Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s
statement on Wednesday that Pakistan needs to take credible
action against terrorism directed towards India before
dialogue can be resumed.
Singh had also said some of the people behind the
Mumbai carnage are "roaming freely" in Pakistan.
The sources were evasive on whether Singh will meet
his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani in Bhutan during
the two-day SAARC Summit beginning April 28, saying there was
They, however, noted that Singh and Gilani had
"conversation" twice in Washington during their two brief
encounters earlier this week on the sidelines of the Nuclear
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane