Pak action against terror necessary for resumption of dialogue
Brasilia: Though it has been persistently demanding action against JuD chief Hafiz Saeed, India has made it clear that it wants Pakistan to go beyond to demonstrate
that it has taken "credible action" against terrorism which is necessary for resumption of full-fledged dialogue.
New Delhi is clear that only action against Saeed, the mastermind of the Mumbai terror attacks, would not change its approach towards Pakistan and that the country needs to do
more in ending terrorism directed against India.
Action against Saeed could be useful to indicate that
something is being done against terrorists. But it does not
mean that all is well and that the Composite Dialogue process
can resume, sources said.
They said action against Saeed might show "some degree
of will" on part of Pakistan to act against those behind
terrorist activities in India.
"Even if Hafiz Saeed is removed from the world, that
will not be the solution to the problem," the sources said.
They pointed out Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s
statement on Wednesday that Pakistan needs to take credible
action against terrorism directed towards India before
dialogue can be resumed.
Singh had also said some of the people behind the
Mumbai carnage are "roaming freely" in Pakistan.
The sources were evasive on whether Singh will meet
his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani in Bhutan during
the two-day SAARC Summit beginning April 28, saying there was
They, however, noted that Singh and Gilani had
"conversation" twice in Washington during their two brief
encounters earlier this week on the sidelines of the Nuclear
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Ravana, the demon king is worshipped in these Indian temples
- 50,000 security personnel to guard last phase of West Bengal Assembly Election 2016
- As Donald Trump becomes presumptive nominee, China urges objectivity
- WATCH: On this day, destructive AB de Villiers smashed Dale Steyn for 23 runs in one over
- JD(U) member of Rajya Sabha raises issue of paucity of judges