Pak-based terror groups using fake Indian notes
New Delhi: Fake Indian currency notes are being used by Pakistan-based terror groups for financing their activities in India, the Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.
"As per available information, militants active in India are also funded by their outfits based abroad, particularly in Pakistan, often routed through third countries.
"For the past several years FICN has been a well-known source for terror financing in India," Defence Minister A K Antony said in a written reply.
He said the government has taken various measures to check terrorist activities in the country such as augmenting the strength of Central armed police forces, establishment of National Security Guards hubs, strengthening of multi agency centre to function on 24x7 basis for real-time collation and sharing of intelligence with other intelligence and security agencies and effective border management.
"The Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act has been amended to strengthen the punitive measures to combat terrorism.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has been constituted to investigate and prosecute such offences," he said.
In reply to another query on modernisation of armed forces, Antony said the Defence Acquisition Council has accorded approvals to proposals worth about Rs 48,000 in the present fiscal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'