Pak court allows Sarabjit Singh to meet his lawyer
Lahore: Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh was on Monday allowed by a Pakistani court to meet his lawyer in jail and rejected objections raised by authorities regarding such meetings.
Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial issued the order after hearing arguments by his lawyer Awais Sheikh and the Assistant Advocate General of Punjab province.
Sheikh argued that authorities at Kot Lakhpat Jail could not stop him from meeting Sarabjit as he was the prisoner`s counsel.
Sheikh said he was prevented from visiting his client in jail.
Such actions by the jail authorities and the provincial government violated the fundamental rights of a person, he said.
The Assistant Advocate General argued that since Sarabjit`s case had been decided and no proceedings were underway, there was no point in allowing him to meet his counsel.
Sheikh told the judge that he wanted to meet his client as he had to get a fresh mercy petition and a letter signed by Sarabjit.
The court rejected the law officer`s arguments and allowed Sheikh to meet his client.
The lawyer told PTI that he intends to submit the fresh mercy petition to President Asif Ali Zardari.
Sarabjit was convicted for alleged involvement in a string of bombings in 1990 that killed 14 people.
His family says he is a farmer and the victim of mistaken identity. Sarabjit`s relatives said he strayed into Pakistan in an inebriated state three months after the bombings.
Following the intervention of the Pakistan People`s Party-led government at the centre, Sarabjit`s execution was put off indefinitely.
He recently submitted a fresh mercy petition to Zardari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in BMC, but BJP gains lead in Pune