Pak has to do more on the issue of terror: Krishna
On board Special Aircraft: On the eve of Indo-Pak Foreign Secretary-level talks, India on Wednesday regretted that 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed is moving freely in Pakistan, which needs to do more on tackling terrorism.
During the talks between Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and his Pakistani counterpart Jalil Abbas Jilani in New Delhi, the Indian side is likely to strongly convey to Islamabad its serious concerns over submissions made by Mumbai attack key handler Abu Jundal about the terrorists getting "state support".
"It is a matter of regret that Saeed is moving freely in Pakistan," External Affairs Minister SM Krishna told reporters on his way back from Tajikistan.
The meeting is taking place in the backdrop of the arrest of Zabiuddin, aka Abu Jundal, who has told Indian investigators that he, along with LeT founder Saeed was in the control room in Pakistan directing the terrorists during the 26/11 Mumbai carnage.
"Pakistan has to do more on the issue of terrorism...But the issue of progress on terrorism has not held the dialogue process to ransom," he added.
When asked about Jundal`s arrest and his subsequent claim and whether India will take up the issue with Pakistan, Krishna said: "Terror has been one of the issues that we always discuss... We will do this time too".
"Whatever he (Jundal) has claimed will be evaluated by our agencies," he said.
Krishna said India has provided dossiers to Pakistan which contains materials to take action against LeT founder and Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed and other perpetrators.
The minister said the "acrimony" of the past between the two countries was no longer there and India wants to live as "good neighbours" with Pakistan.
He said the dialogue process was an indication of the fact that there is an improvement in the relationship between the two countries.
"We do expect greater cooperation from Pakistan in tackling those forces which were responsible for the attack on Mumbai but unfortunately because of various reasons Pakistan finds itself unable to proceed against then," he said.
On his visit to Pakistan, Krishna said that the dates which were finalised much earlier but clashed with Presidential polls.
"I have conveyed my inability to Pakistan... I`m eager to go," he said, adding he has suggested to them to finalise fresh dates at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read