‘Pak in process of granting MFN status to India’
New Delhi: Government on Thursday said Pakistan was
in the process of granting Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status
to India as per the Commerce Secretary level talks held in
November this year.
Replying to a question in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of
State for External Affairs presented a portion of the minutes
of the Commerce Secretary level talks held between November
"The move to full normalisation of trade shall be
sequenced. In the first stage, Pakistan will transition from
the current positive list approach to a Negative list. The
consultation process on devising this Negative list is almost
complete," the minutes shared by Ahmed read.
"A small Negative list shall be finalised and ratified by
February 2012. Thereafter, all items other than those on the
Negative list shall be freely exportable from India to
Pakistan," the text of the minutes read.
"In the second stage, the Negative list shall be phased
out. The timing for this phasing out will be announced in
February 2012 at the time the list is notified and it is
expected that the phasing out will be completed before the end
of 2012," it read.
"With the entire phasing out of the Negative list, the
transition process of full grant of MFN status by Pakistan to
India shall be completed," Ahmed told the house.
In reply to another question, External Affairs minister S
M Krishna said that a railway station called `Zero point`
existed on Pakistani side of the International border opposite
Munnabao in Barmer sector and there were reports that Pakistan
had undertaken expansion works on this station with Chinese
This matter had been raised by the Border Security Force
(BSF) during their meetings with Pakistani Rangers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list