Pak kills Indian fisherman; abducts 30 others off Guj coast
Ahmedabad: A Indian fisherman was killed and 30 others were allegedly kidnapped by Pakistani Maritime Security Agency, which took them away in five boats from international waters off Jakhau coast in Gujarat, a member of fishermen boat association said here on Saturday.
"Pakistani agencies started indiscriminate firing on fishing boat `Dhanvati`, yesterday morning at around four when they were fishing in international waters," Porbandar Boat association vice-president Manish Lodhari told a news agency.
In the firing, one fisherman, Naran Sosa died. We came to know about this incident when the boat which was from Porbandar, returned here this morning with his body, he said.
"When we were fishing in international waters, Pakistani agency boats came there and started firing on us. We managed to escape but one of our fellow fishermen died," Magan Soso, one of fishermen of five member team who were present on boat Dhanvati said after returning to Porbandar.
"They have kidnapped 30 other Indian fishermen in their five boats," Lodhari said.
We have informed all the agencies about the incident here like police, coast guard and state government. We will be soon giving representations to central and state government on the issue," he added.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has demanded from the central government to take this issue seriously and investigate it.
"Spoke to A K Antony on Pakistan`s action against Guj fishermen today. Urged him that Centre should take a serious note and investigate it," Modi wrote on his twitter account.
This is the first major attack on Indian fishermen by Pakistan after the start of fishing season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed