Pak national released from Guwahati Central Jail after 14 yrs
Guwahati: An arrested Pakistani national has been released from the Guwahati Central Jail after 14 years and sent back to his home country after the Gauhati high Court acquitted him of the charges levelled against him.
The 45-year old Pakistani national identified as Fasiullah Hussaini was released from the jail yesterday and sent with police escort to Delhi for being handed over to Pakistan Rangers at the Wagah border with the help of BSF, jail authorities said today.
Following the court order, Hussaini was being sent back to Pakistan after receiving permission from the Union Home ministry as sought by the Assam Government and the diplomatic consular access obtained earlier in 2004 as per the procedure on the arrest of foreigners, the authorities said.
In May this year, the court had quashed the charges against Hussaini as they could not be proven, the sources said.
The process for his release and subsequent handing over to the Pakistan authorities began immediately after that, the sources said.
Hussaini was first arrested in 1999 under the Foreigners Act by Pan Bazar Police Station in Guwahati when he arrived here after entering the country through Karimganj district along the Indo-Bangladesh without a passport or visa, the sources said.
Interned in the Guwahati jail for five years, he was again charged under the Unlawful Preventive Detention Act by the Latasil police station here and Goalpara police station.
Stating Hussaini`s behaviour in the jail was "good" , the sources said no family members of the foreigner had visited him during his 14 years in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly