Pak national released from Guwahati Central Jail after 14 yrs
Guwahati: An arrested Pakistani national has been released from the Guwahati Central Jail after 14 years and sent back to his home country after the Gauhati high Court acquitted him of the charges levelled against him.
The 45-year old Pakistani national identified as Fasiullah Hussaini was released from the jail yesterday and sent with police escort to Delhi for being handed over to Pakistan Rangers at the Wagah border with the help of BSF, jail authorities said today.
Following the court order, Hussaini was being sent back to Pakistan after receiving permission from the Union Home ministry as sought by the Assam Government and the diplomatic consular access obtained earlier in 2004 as per the procedure on the arrest of foreigners, the authorities said.
In May this year, the court had quashed the charges against Hussaini as they could not be proven, the sources said.
The process for his release and subsequent handing over to the Pakistan authorities began immediately after that, the sources said.
Hussaini was first arrested in 1999 under the Foreigners Act by Pan Bazar Police Station in Guwahati when he arrived here after entering the country through Karimganj district along the Indo-Bangladesh without a passport or visa, the sources said.
Interned in the Guwahati jail for five years, he was again charged under the Unlawful Preventive Detention Act by the Latasil police station here and Goalpara police station.
Stating Hussaini`s behaviour in the jail was "good" , the sources said no family members of the foreigner had visited him during his 14 years in jail.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living